Dear LCPS Family:

Hooray! We have reached Week # 18, the halfway point of the school year, and the beginning of a well-deserved holiday. I am more grateful than ever to be the superintendent of LCPS. We are team who are truly committed to students and to connecting with our parents and community. Throughout the school division, you have shared with those less fortunate during this holiday season. Several families were “adopted” for Christmas by school and central office staff. You have organized canned food drives. I know that you don’t expect a reward for your generosity, but please know that it is noticed. Our students and the community will see that we excel not only in educating but also in giving.

My gratitude extends to our Sheriff’s Department for their support with school resource officers and security at events. Recently the first sessions of the new “LAW” (Learn and Win) curriculum were completed with fifth graders. We have received positive feedback on the program from students and staff. Please join me in thanking our local law enforcement staff for their support. Today the School Board is providing lunch for the Sheriff’s Department in appreciation for their service to us.

Visiting each school this week was most enjoyable as holiday excitement was in the air, but teachers were using creative ideas to inspire students to continue learning. Among the activities I observed were Reader’s Theater of Arthur’s Christmas at TJES, Poetry and Cocoa at LCMS, research projects on holiday customs at JES, and marble raceway designs and Polar Express Day at TES. Thanks to all teachers who continued to ensure that students were learning AND having fun during this week.

Let’s not leave out the high school. During the last couple of weeks, they were testing – and their results were FANTASTIC!! CONGRATULATIONS, LCHS staff for your phenomenal SOL test scores. For the first time ever, Chemistry had a 100% pass rate and almost all other areas were in the upper 90% pass rates. To use a current phrase, “YOU ROCK, LCHS!!!” Your hard work and dedication to your students has paid off. I know your success will continue in the spring.

Keep learning, stay healthy, and keep connecting as you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Deborah

PS. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!!!! We’re on vacation!!!!